Friday, August 26, 2011

Dessert DeLite

There is certainly a reason that the word "DESSERT" = "STRESSED" spelled backwards. The two often go hand in hand, much to the detriment of our waistlines. As a dessert connoisseur myself, I ALWAYS order dessert after my meals. From chocolate cake, to key lime or apple pie, I love them ALL! Because of my insane sweet tooth, I have struggled over the years, constantly trying to find light desserts that will satisfy my dessert craving without packing on the extra pounds.

Low and behold, once I started digging around, I found a wide variety of light desserts out there. Here are some of my favorites:

1. Skinny Cow light desserts are amazing - from crunchy cookie clusters, to chocolate fudge brownie low fat icecream, you can find a ton of low fat and low calorie skinny cow dessert options.

2. Dove dark chocolate squares - for all your chocolate lovers, these are absolute perfection. Not to mention, dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants and can satisfy any chocolate craving. Limit to 2-3 small squares

3. Jello pudding cups - These little deLiteful pudding cups are perfectly proportioned and have sugar free and fat free options. At only 60 calories per cup, and lots of flavors including Boston creme pie, and chocolate and vanilla swirl, they are a light, yet very satisfying dessert option.

4. Fruit of your choice dipped in dark chocolate sauce or light whipped cream. Fruit is naturally sweet and is a great dessert option anytime. Dip in some light whipped cream and you'll be in heaven.

5. Low fat frozen yogurt pops - here is an interesting concept that I found on a light dessert website - freeze your favorite yogurt flavor and eat it as a frozen yogurt Popsicle. I can't wait to try this one!

6. Not really a Popsicle fan? Try making a low cal icecream sandwich by adding frozen yogurt or fruit sorbet between two small vanilla snap cookies. This little dessert is a crunchy AND sweet deLite that will have you grinning ear to ear!

7. Last but not least, you can always follow a heavy dinner or meal with a cup of decaf tea or coffee. Coffee and hot tea can help cut the craving for dessert, and with only 5 calories in the average cup of black coffee and tea, you won't be worried about compromising your waistline with your after dinner treat!

So next time you reach for that sugary (and highly caloric) cookie or brownie, try one of these deLITEful desserts instead! I guarantee you will never look at desserts the same way!

No comments:

Post a Comment